Wednesday, June 25, 2014

How To Train Your (clay) Dragon

Good morning ladies and gents!  This last week, my studio has been over run by dragons of varying sizes, types, and shapes!  No...I'm not a huge Game of Thrones fan... though I'm looking forward to reading the books before I watch the series...  I DO love the movie How To Train Your Dragon...very cute indeed.  Waiting for the second one to come out on DVD so I can watch it (I can't go to the theaters...I would end up doing the funky chicken in no time).  So what's up with all the dragons, you ask?  WELL...A good friend of mine suggested I sculpt a dragon, to get out of my current comfort zone of where my sculptures have been going.  So, once Lady Liberty was done, I figured I would do just that!  What I discovered is that I really LOVE sculpting these fun little mythical creatures!!!  In the last week, I've created 3, each one quite different from the next.  I've also created a habitat/home for them, which just helps to set the mood, I believe.  Each sculpture has at least one "loose" item, so that the viewer/new owner can set up the habitat/nest anyway they like; an interactive sculpture if you will.  

Without further adieu, here are my 3 beauties.  Keep in mind, the colors appear "muted" right now, because these are still greenware...The color is Amaco Velvet Underglaze applied while the sculptures are still somewhat damp.





  
 (The phone in this image is just to show scale.  My sister was thinking that these were much larger than they really are.)




Haven't named them yet...but really thinking that they each need a name.  Do you have any suggestions???


No comments:

Post a Comment